Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Evaluation Day


Yesterday I had a large group of our employees fill out an anonymous survey. The form that they filled out rated me on a scale of 1 to 10 in the following areas: integrity, generosity, friendliness, gratitude, attitude, perseverance, dedication, passion, motivation, excellence, optimism, communication, negotiation, networking, Self management, relationships and knowledge. I have a great, and HONEST staff. I asked them to rate me accurately AND be brutally straight-forward with there comments. they were. the result were very interesting, and after being a little defensive (in my mind) I completely embraced the whole survey. I did well and received mostly 9s and 10s on integrity, generosity, perseverance, passion, optimism, excellence,, negotiation and Knowledge. the rest averaged 8s, except the following: Relationships-6, friendliness-6 and Communication 7. Now the communication was expected because I can be a little ADD to say the least. (I'm working on it, OK). But HOLY CRAP! Friendliness and relationships. what the Heck! I pride myself on our company culture. Friendliness and relationships are everything. We literally wrote a book about it ( Brewing A Creative Culture). The worst part is I received some 2s and 3s and some 9s and 10s on the same traits. Which means that there are dramatically different perceptions within the company on friendliness and relationships. Well I have my marching orders. I feel like this was a great exercise and I'm glad I did it. Time to get more friendly to EVERYBODY and cultivate better relationships with EVERYBODY! I recommend this to anyone. You never know what you'll find out.

3 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Wow. Very brave and humble of you. I wish everyone had a boss as open to improvement.

You might want to take some of those low numbers with a grain of salt. They could just be disgruntled with something else.

DJM said...

thanks Jan, always trying to improve

tonya said...

That was a very brave thing you did! Integrity goes a long way with many people. You set a high example to many leaders.